App Swap

The other day I got this phone — it is way, way smarter than me, far too much phone for me, “She’s so hi-i-i-igh, high above me”-above-me. I mean to say.

App recommendations cheerfully accepted. Please. I’m an apple idiot.

So, my phone is of the most-common-fruit variety, in the latest incarnation, and here I am all excited to do things with it and I visited the App Store, and whoa Mama, folks sure have been busy designing things while I’ve been off in the corner with my old non-qwerty keyboard flip-phone for the last while.

Apps. You know about them, I imagine. I don’t, for sure. Whaddya luv?

What I’m wishing to do on the phone:

-read books

-manage my lil’ bit o’ money

-shop intelligently

-manage travel plans

-do stuff about restaurants/events/places to visit

-Big Scary Thing I Want to Do: convert from my Moleskine weekly planner to digital calendar/to-do lists/reminders

Give me your recommendations, free or otherwise. Probably other readers will appreciate your ideas, too. No advice too obvious or already known, by me at least — I promise! (You’ve probably noticed by now that this is only an app swap in the sense that my readers can swap apps they like. I have nothing to contribute but readiness to learn.) This semi-Luddite thanks you.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted November 19, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

lol. Me and my flip phone are way behind the times. Best of luck to you. You’ll get the hang of it.

~FringeGirl
    The Domestic Fringe recently posted..Meat Pies: A People Pleasing RecipeMy Profile

2. Jack
    Posted November 19, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hey let me see it next time I see you 😀 I will help

3. Posted November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Tripit for travel plans! Yelp and Urbanspoon for food! Mint for money!

And that’s the extent of my knowledge. 🙂
    Ashley // Our Little recently posted..Or Do Without.My Profile

4. Teresa Harris
    Posted November 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Flipboard, for organizing blogs or RSS feeds you like
    Evernote for lists, notes, etc. I LOVE it. You can have multiple “notebooks” and can even clip webpages or pieces of webpages to put in a “note”
    I would use the Apple calendar if anyone else in your home has an Apple product-you can sync calendars, so that if Kevin has a meeting if you sync it will show up on your calendar.
    Kindle for ebooks is what we use, mainly because that is where I have purchased all my ebooks. We started out there and I don’t want books on both Kindle and iBooks, so there you go. I would pick one and stick with it.
    Wikipedia app-Kelsey called this the Harris “wiki” gene-if someone has a question, “Wasn’t Mr. Rogers a soldier in WWII?” (this actually came up with another family the other night) directly to Wikipedia we go.
    IMDB if you are like us and watching a movie, you wonder, “I KNOW I have seen him in something else…..”
    Your bank might have an app for online banking. If you have a credit card with like Discover or something major like that, they would have one most likely as well.
    I also have Pinterest, if you are into that.
    YouVersion is a good Bible, I am thinking about going to Olive Tree and paying for a different version every month until I have all the different versions I would like.
    Hope it helps!!!!

• Posted November 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Teresa, this exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. I’m trying to avoid signing up for apps without knowing if they are the *best* of that genre. I’ve never even heard of most of them, so I need guidance. Thank you.
      Lori recently posted..Cheer for Chutney + Winner AnnouncedMy Profile

5. Posted November 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Lori, I just traded in my flip phone for an iphone a few month ago, and I absolutely relate to the overwhelmed, app-fearing feeling!

I don’t use a ton of apps, and some of the ones I use the most are the native ones, like maps, notes, and reminders.

But I have come to know and love a few:
    Camera+ for taking photos. I never use the standard iphone camera, but the one in this app instead.
    VSCO cam for editing photos.
    Tweetcaster for twitter (although I’ve heard good things about TweetBot. I might be switching over…)
    Grocery IQ for keeping my grocery list.
    My local library’s app ALL THE TIME for checking what’s due when and requesting books.
    My banking app–I LOVE how I can deposit checks by taking pictures of them!
    YouVersion Bible reading app.
    Pinterest.
    GasBuddy for comparing gas prices, especially when we’re traveling.
    JoAnn and HobbyLobby for the easy-to-access, always-with-me coupons.
    Shazam so I can always know what great song is playing on the radio.
    WineFinder for finding great but inexpensive wine at my local Trader Joe’s.

I hope that’s helpful (and not overwhelming!)

When I got my iphone, I was warned that the learning curve was a good 6-8 weeks. So don’t worry if you feel like you’re not catching on right away–it just takes time. Enjoy!
    Anne@ModernMrsDarcy recently posted..Introducing Paper Gains: A Guide to Gifting Children Great Books from Modern Mrs DarcyMy Profile

• Posted November 20, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

These sound like great suggestions, Anne. Thanks for taking time to think of them. I am so excited — I successfully “mobile-y” deposited a couple of checks into my band acct. today. That is going to be handy!
      Lori recently posted..Past Blast: Happy at HomeMy Profile

6. Posted November 20, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I love my new-ish iPhone. I have had it since September and I am loving all of these suggestions. Thanks, Lori! I love my iCalendar. I switched over from Google calendar when I bought my iPhone. It’s very easy to use and syncs with your computer (if you have iCalendar.)

Another app you may consider is the flashlight app. It’s free (I think) and comes in handy if you need light, say walking downstairs in the morning but don’t want to disturb your sleeping children (or husband.)

I also use IMDB all of the time!
    Carlinne recently posted..Thanksgiving’s Perfect Side and November WinnerMy Profile

• Posted November 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Carlinne, I think I am most concerned about which calendar to choose. I really don’t have to learn that two or three times, not to mention transferring things. So you think iCalendar over Google, eh?
      Lori recently posted..Cerebral Homemaking, Part 9: Homemaking is So DailyMy Profile

• Posted November 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I liked Google a lot, but it was easier to use iCalendar because I have it on my computer, too. Also I preferred to use the calendar that was made for the phone. While I loved Google calendar on my computer, I didn’t love the look of it on my phone. If you have the iPhone 5, when you flip the phone to the landscape view, you can see five days in an agenda format. When you are in calendar in the portrait view, you can choose whether to view your calendar as a list of the next few days, your entire day or the whole month with the current day’s events listed. My small annoyance with Google calendar was that I had a couple of Google accounts and I couldn’t be signed in to my blog’s Google Docs and have my personal calendar available. Rather than signing in and out of my two Google accounts it was way easier to use iCalendar. I hope this helps and doesn’t confuse matters!

• Posted November 21, 2012 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Thank you for telling about being able to switch to landscape view and see five days at a time with iPhone 5!
          Lori recently posted..Real-LifeThanksgivingMy Profile

7. Sheril C
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

One app I learned about at last years quilt-a-way that has really come in handy is called “flashlight”. Using my phone as a flashlight would not have even occurred to me but now I have really made good use of that one including at the HS camp outs. 🙂 I also put several free white noise apps on my phone right before my Shakamak trip this last time. The two I have used the most are “sleep pillow” and “relax melodies”. Did I mention that I am a big fan of free and super cheap? The white noise apps work for me but they also hope I will upgrade to a nicer version for a price. And I might do so if I needed to use them more regularly.

I also use IMDB for the same reason that Teresa does. ;p
    I have the kindle, facebook and pinterest apps as well as houzz and etsy; my two most use game apps for when none of those others are what I want when waiting in lines or waiting rooms are “250+ Solitaires Free” and “Sudoku”… or is it called “enjoy sudoku” srry about my memory. The icon is a picture of the thinker statue.

And I have found that I have accumulated many more apps on my phone than I ever expected to. One helpful thing to me was learning that I could put apps together in little boxes. For example, my urban spoon and my yelp apps are together in a box along with “trip advisor”, “icaneat” and “yahoo time traveler”. That last one I will be deleting soon. My IMDB app is in a little box with an app called “Flixter” that I use to look up movie theater times and info and a third app that is similar to one or the other of them but which I do not use as much and might delete soon. All you have to do is set the iphone to rearrange your apps and then pick up an icon and try to drop it right on top of another. Your phone will automatically make a box and give the box a name, but you can rename it if you want to.

I also have my flashlight app in a box with my calculator app and several apps that I use less. That box is called utilities.

I had a hard time finding a cheap or free gps app that I could work with but all the ones that I have not deleted are together in a box on my front page labeled navigation. I usually use the Waze app to navigate by.

I find my iphone to be much more user friendly compared to the smart phone I had before and I really enjoy it, although I probably do under-utilize it compared to a true techie. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!