Savor Summer: 5 Ways, 5 Senses, 5 Minutes

Nectarines — one of those fruits that are only good in season (photo credit: Tori Luther)

Summer is almost over, but more about that tomorrow. Right now, before it ends, here is what I wish everyone in the northern hemisphere would do:

1. Taste — Get your hands on a tomato. Any version grown in somebody’s backyard is what you are after. Eat it any way you like, but TASTE it, really taste it. Savor. Love.
  2. Feel — The Husband says my range of temperature tolerance is about two degrees, 70-72 degrees, to be exact, and there is justice in what he says. But, today, revel in the delicious fact that you are warm ENOUGH when you are outdoors. The chill in the air this morning reminded me how soon that will change for many of us. It is wonderful to be able to go outside so EFFORTLESSLY — no coats, scarves, gloves, boots to tug on. I am going to appreciate that today as I work outside in the heat.
  3. See — Green, green, but with a tiredness that presages Autumn, hazy skies, storm clouds
  4. Listen — In our Tiny Town, this is the time when the cicadas’ whirring is being replaced by the crickets’ chirping. The birds still sing, but the insects have taken center sound-stage.
  5. Inhale — Mown grass, growing things, blooming things, LIVING things
Catch ‘em while you can!
What will you miss most when Summer gives way to Autumn?
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

It is sad that not everyone apprecaites a home grown tomato. This year we grew heirloom tomatoes and gave some away. When I asked how they liked them, the response was that it wasn’t a real tomato. When I asked where they normally get them it was from the grocery store. I will admit that it broke my heart. Our tomato plants are almost done so we are haunting the farmer’s markets. I love taking the time to talk with them about how they have grown their tomatoes and the other things they have to sell.

• Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, that would put a chink in my heart, too, Samantha!

• Posted September 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

That breaks my heart! We would have LOVED and truly and appreciated your heirloom tomatoes. We are so sad that it doesn’t look like we are going to get any here in Colorado this year. It has been a hard summer for gardening with a hail storm at the beginning of the summer and very dry!

• Posted September 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

It *is* sad when the garden doesn’t do well, Kelly! I thought we might have a bad year, too, because the spring was strange — very hot and dry, but then this summer we in the east have had regular showers.
          Lori recently posted..Sprucing Up the Porch for AutumnMy Profile

2. Anonymous
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Lori, I just found your blog when Hollabaugh’s mentioned you on Facebook, and I am HOOKED – loving it and working my way through the archives.

Personally I hate summer and autumn is my favorite season, so there’s not much I will miss and lots I’m looking forward to.

That said, I will miss sun-warmed tomatoes and peaches…

• Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the kind words about my blog! We are MOVING to wordpress tomorrow, but if it goes well you shouldn’t even know it except for the new and improved look. Welcome, and I hope you continue to find valuable things here.

3. Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the reminder! I’ll do it!

4. Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

We live across from an elementary school, there is a High School on our road about a quarter of a mile away and another High School a quarter of the way in the opposite direction. I am enjoying the last few days without school traffic, though I’m sure my boys will be thrilled when we start up the parade of school buses each morning again. :)

Love your list though! I’ll still be hanging out my laundry through a good bit of the fall, but I know my days are numbered. I’ll miss it. I’ll also miss watching the boys with our water wall and the sandbox play. I love Indian Summer and Fall will be exciting in our new town. Being content and finding the joy in each season… a happy thought.

• Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Oh, Church Mouse, the school bus stop is just across and down a house or two from our house. Our children used to press their noses to the front door and watch all the kids playing while they waited — I used to wonder what the bus driver thought as she drove past each morning!

Hanging out laundry is a pleasure in nice weather, although we have learned to forego it since we realized it makes a few of us much worse with allergies.

Being content and finding joy — such happy thoughts. Thank you.